On 1 December 2017 a new type of tenancy will come into force, called the private residential tenancy, this will replace assured and short assured tenancy agreements for all new tenancies. Find out more

Landlords and tax

As a landlord, HMRC (Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs) are the best people to speak to about tax. For tax purposes, you will be treated as running a business if you are letting out one or more properties. The HMRC have a range of resources to help you get started and keep you right on everything from expenses you can claim, capital gains tax to paying tax on an overseas property. You can also contact HMRC using the HMRC online contact form or you can phone them on 0300 200 3300.

These case studies of different landlords' situations can help you start finding out about tax and expenses. These are a good way to understand a bit more about how the rules on tax are applied, as real life examples are always more interesting than numbers!

My Property income and HMRC - recorded webinar (approx 20 minutes)

You can watch this short film from one of the HMRC's experts in tax for landlords. Here is some of what it covers:

  • what might be allowed as expenses
  • your situation if you let out a room in your home
  • overseas property
  • what counts as a holiday let
  • capital gains tax.

HMRC also run the webinar, My property income and HMRC as an interactive webinar so attendees can ask questions. It's free and you just need  a computer with internet access and maybe headphones. They offer a lot of webinars about being self employed


Elearning course from HMRC. This free short course is interactive and anonymous. You can dip in and out and take the course as many times as you like.

Questionnaire tool from HMRC to help you check what income you might need to disclose

You can report previously undisclosed taxes on rental income to HMRC if you’re an individual landlord renting out residential property.


Fill out my online form.