Tolerable standard

A home must meet a basic level of repair called the Tolerable Standard if it's to be fit for a person to live in. A home may not be fit to live in if:

  • It has a bad problem with rising or penetrating damp
  • It is not structurally stable, for example it's subsiding
  • It doesn't have adequate ventilation, natural and artificial light or heating
  • It doesn't have adequate thermal insulation
  • It doesn't have an adequate supply of fresh water
  • It doesn't have a sink with hot and cold water
  • It doesn't have an indoor toilet
  • It doesn't have a fixed bath or shower and wash basin with hot and cold water
  • It doesn't have a good drainage and sewerage system
  • There is a electric supply and it doesn't meet the relevant safety regulations 
  • There are no satisfactory cooking facilities (this doesn't mean a landlord has to provide a cooker, but there must be somewhere suitable for tenants to install their own cooking facilities)
  • It doesn't have a proper entrance.

Councils have statutory powers to deal with houses that do not meet the Tolerable Standard. The other criteria that a rented property must meet is the Repairing Standard.

Fill out my online form.